Monday, October 10, 2011

Lantrip Elementary

My husband and I spent the most time at this school.  We again met the principal and magnet coordinator.  And once again, were just completely impressed.  I know my youngest son's old school wasn't so great in Illinois, but I didn't realize how bad the administration there was until we met the administration at Lantrip. I would say that Lantrip made my son's old school look like a joke.  The school has a magnet program for environmental science.  This magnet program was started in 1975 by Dora B. Lantrip.  Recently, Lantrip received its top award from the Department of Education, naming the school a National Blue Ribbon Award School.  In addition to the magnet program for environmental sciences, Lantrip also has a vanguard program.  This school has state of the art science labs, science fair competitions, specialty field experiences, an outdoor learning classroom with a greenhouse and a Renzulli research lab.  I have researched and explored schools everywhere we have ever lived for our kids and Lantrip is one of the very best I have ever seen.

Something else that really struck us was the large number of parent volunteers we saw come and go during the time we visited the school.  We were also impressed with how at ease the teachers, administrators and students seemed at the school.  I feel very lucky that I am able to send my son to such a wonderful school right in our neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment